Yesterday we talked about the DREADED HUNGRY GHOST MONTH, and as mentioned in yesterday’s post, the Hungry Ghost Month is basically the time when hungry ghosts are released from hell so that they can eat. However, because a lot of these hungry ghosts lived a negative life or died violent deaths, a lot of them still harbor ill feelings brought about their fate, so when they’re released from hell, they also tend to do bad things to us.
I don’t think anybody has properly documented all the effects of the dreaded Hungry Ghost Month but some of the known effects are the following.
INCREASE PARANORMAL OR GHOST MANIFESTATIONS, but not all paranormal manifestations are done by hungry ghosts, sometimes it’s really just some wandering spirits that you wouldn’t normally see or feel but because of the heightened yin energy and paranormal energy brought by the Hungry Ghost month, you’ll become more sensitive to them. Having said that, it is also fairly normal to see some scary ghosts, these usually would be one of the hungry ghosts.
I once talked to a Filipina nurse, who is not aware of the Hungry Ghost month. We were talking about her job in one of the big hospitals in the country. I asked her whether night duties in the hospital give her the creeps. She said, she has gotten used to night duties, and shared that hospitals are not really very scary in the evening. But she concluded that she wonders why in her experience, a lot of patients usually complain about ghostly manifestation around August and not during Halloween. She clarified that sure enough that they will hear stories about ghosts from patients, colleagues, other hospital staffs, relative of patients from time to time, but having worked as a nurse for 14 years; she noticed that stories usually heightened sometime in August.
INCREASE NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS usually happens during the Hungry Ghost month. When I was still working as a feature story producer in one of the leading broadcast media in the Philippines I worked on a story about the rate of accidents here in the Philippines. Again, an accident happens all throughout the year, however, there’s an increase number of accidents happening around August. More than that accidents that happened in August tends to be more severe thus taking more lives.
INCREASE NUMBER OF CRIME also happens during the Hungry Ghost Month. Again, in the same feature show that I produced for, we did a story about crime. We went to three different police stations in QC, Manila, and Pasig. Surprisingly, crime rates increases sometime around August, more than that the crimes that increased is not holdup or petty theft, what increases are murder and homicide.
INCREASE NUMBER OF HOSPITAL DEATHS AND/OR UNEXPLAINABLE MEDICAL PROBLEMS FROM USUAL MEDICAL PROCEDURES also happens. The same Filipina nurse I mentioned to you in the earlier part of this post also said that there are more deaths and normal medical procedures going wrong around August. When I was doing the accident and crime story, I was able to verify that indeed hospitals have more deaths occurring around August.
INCREASE CHANCES OF BUSINESS FAILURE also happens during the Hungry Ghost Month. A Taiwanese media outfit also conducted on a the effects of the Hungry Ghost Month on business, their research showed that more business close or starts to go bankrupt around the Hungry Ghost Month, furthermore, businesses that were opened during the Hungry Ghost Month tend to do badly.
There are a lot more negative effects of a Hungry Ghost Month; the list can go on and on. On my next posts, I’ll share with you the rituals usually done during the Hungry Ghost Month and/or Hungry Ghost Festival. Also I would be sharing with you ways on how you can protect yourself during this season. I am a great believer of Feng Shui because it gives you tools to counteract negative things.
But before that, allow me to share a few, a fraction, of some of the famous things that happened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
- 9/11 Attack. The 911 attacks on the Twin Tower is perhaps one of the most high profile cases worldwide that happened during the Hungry Ghost Month. To be exact, it happened on the second to the last day of the Hungry Ghost Month of that year.
- Death of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed also happened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
- Britain’s Great Train Robbery happened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
- Elvis Presley died right on the eve of the Hungry Ghost Festival.
- The Munich Massacre happened four days after the Hungry Ghost Festival.
- The collapse of China’s Hunan Bridge, which coincided with the collapse of the 40 year old interstate highway bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Minnesota, USA also happened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
- In August 7, 1998, an innocent looking truck drove up to the then US embassy and planted a powerful bomb. More than 200 people were killed in its wake.
In the Philippines…
- The Payatas tragedy that buried about 500 scavengers happened at the start of the ghost month that year. A 50-foot garbage fell on their houses at the height of a torrential rain.
- On August 3, 1999, heavy torrential rains caused a landslide that killed 58 people and buried over 100 houses at Cherry Hills Subdivision in Antipolo City.
- On July 16, 1990, an earthquake that registered 7.7 on the Richter scale killed 1,700 people, injured 3,000 individuals and displaced 148,000.
- On July 2, 1993 a floating pagoda carrying hundred of Catholic devotees during the annual pagoda festival in Bocaue, Bulacan sank into the muddy Bocaue River, killing more about half of the devotees who rode the pagoda. It was the start of the Hungry Ghost Month of that year.
- The ABC-5 news team involve in a tragic vehicular accident that killed all 3 passenger happened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
- The typhoon Ondoy tragedy in 2009 happened at the end of the Hungry Ghost Month.
- The Manila Hostage Crisis or what is officially known as the Rizal Park hostage-taking incident, that lasted several hours, injured several of the hostages, killed several people including the HK tourists, the hostage takers and hit the tourism industry in the country happened not only during the Hungry Ghost Month, but more that that it happened on the eve of the Hungry Ghost Festival.
The list continues but I would like to clarify that obviously not all accidents or catastrophes happens during the Hungry Ghost Month, for example the Indian Ocean Tsunami, Japan Earthquake and Tsunami happened far from the Hungry Ghost Month. What we’re saying is that incidents do tend to be worst or the chances of individuals getting into bad things are heightened during the Hungry Ghost Month.
TO UNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT THE HUNGRY GHOST MONTH, HUNGRY GHOSTS, IT’S EFFECTS, RITUALS AND PROTECTION READ THE FOLLOWING HUNGRY GHOSTS SERIES:
YOU MAY WISH TO READ THE FOLLOWING ALSO:
OR YOU CAN CLICK ON THE CATEGORY – KUWENTO TUNGKOL SA HUNGRY GHOST MONTH.
For questions, comments and suggestions, please email email@example.com